Sunday, June 1, 2008

Lucy's Birth Story

  • Lucy is now almost 4 weeks old. In some ways the time is flying by, but in many ways it has been the longest 4 weeks of my life! I have never sacrificed so much for someone else...I am certainly learning a lot!

  • Here is our story...

  • I had a pregnancy that included many nights of contractions. It included many nights wondering 'is this it?' After many of these experiences I realized I may never really be sure if I was in labor or not...and so it began.

  • It was Monday, May 5, 2008. I had been having contractions all night long, but I just dealt with the pain like a champ! At 11:15 we had a doctor's appointment where we learned I was finally dilated to a 1 and 90% effaced!! I was so excited to finally hear some uplifting news, however, I was still very skeptical she would come on her own so I made my doctor set an 'end date', I needed to know this growing belly would end soon! We set it for May 19, 2008...again, disappointment that the date was so far away. My doctor said he was very hopeful she would come on her own.

  • We left the doctor's office only to find I was having really bad cramps constantly and contracting off and on. We needed to run some errands, so again I had to deal with them. We went to lunch at Cafe Rio...I was getting very uncomfortable. While eating my huge salad Rhett mentioned if I went into labor today this salad could very well be coming back up (and it did!). We then went to REI, Babies R Us, and USA Baby. I was very slow and I am sure everyone was wondering what this prego lady was doing.

  • The contractions started to get very regular around 5:00 pm. We were both getting excited and anxious. At about 9:00 we both thought it was time to head to the hospital...but neither of us were all the way convinced. We started packing and after much debate we got in the car at about 10:15 only to get down the street and turn around! We came home for about 10 minutes only to get back in the car and drive off again. Seriously!

  • We got to the hospital and got all checked in. I honestly did not think this was the real deal, but what could it hurt and besides I wasn't going to be able to get any sleep anyway because the contractions were very strong and about 4 minutes apart. The nurse checked me and what do we know, I was dilated to a 1 and 90% effaced. I HAD MADE NO PROGRESS! I was shocked to say the least. The nurse said they would monitor me for about an hour and than probably send me home with a shot of morphine for the pain. Dang.

  • A few minutes later I went to restroom. When I sat back down on the bed I felt a big gush of water, what a strange feeling! My water broke! This was obviously my saving grace. Now the nerves and anxiety really kicked in because I knew this was it. I was told this was prerupture of the membranes so I was going to be in labor for quite sometime...I was prepared with my huge suitcase, pillows, blankets, and everything I could think of to make it the best experience possible.

  • My contractions were starting to get very very strong, ouch! I had to go through a whole bag of saline to get my epidural which was taking quite a while. I finally got it about 2 hours later at 2:00 am. HEAVEN! I was able to relax, until I got really sick and was able to throw up my cafe rio a few times! That part was not so fun. Thank goodness my mom and sister were with me so Rhett could get some needed rest in. I was check again at 3:00 am and I was dilated to a 3. This was pretty good progress I thought.

  • I was not able to rest much because I was so nausious. My epidural was also missing a I thought. I kept telling my mom I was just hurting and feeling so much pressure. I didn't know whether I was not getting enough medication or what. I buzzed the nurse and told her I was starting to hurt and feel a ton of pressure. She checked me again and I was dilated to a 10 and it was only 6:00 am. I was so excited, anxious, and very sick. They wanted to wait for a while longer to let the baby do most of the work, I did not argue, I was so tired.

  • At 7:00 am my nurse finally gave me some Zofran...I could have used that a lot sooner! I began pushing at 7:15 am. What a wierd feeling, but such a thrill. It was amazing to know this was actually happening and I was able to figure it all out! Lucy was actually turned sideways and her heartrate was really dropping so I was getting so nervous we would be doing a C Section. Lucy figured it all out because at 8:09 am Lucy Ann Germer made her appearance. It was such an amazing feeling to actually hold her in my arms just seconds after she was born. She was so beautiful and I felt so proud. Proud that I just gave birth, I actually did it! Rhett then held her for the first time and got tears in his eyes. It was such a special moment for all of us. Lucy just stared up at him for a few minutes trying to figure us all out. It was amazing that she already knew us.

  • I am so greatful for such an amazing experience. I am so lucky my sisters and mom were there for some extra support. They were so great all night getting me whatever I needed to be more comfortable. Thanks for being there and cheering me on!


Lance and Amber said...

Wow, sure sounds exhausting!!! But a wonderful story and glad that it was so special for all of you!

Shanna & Brent said...

ahhhh... i love hearing other women's birth stories, i love that every one is unique and special!!! what a trooper you were!

Rob Dani Liam & Lance Henriksen said...

Wow, there is a lot I didn't know about Lucy's birth! I am really glad they did not send you home before your water broke!

Colby and Meredith said...

Wow, what a story of her arrival! I seriously felt tense reading this post. I'm sure it was all worth it now- look at what a beautiful daughter you have!

Melissa and Nate said...

I love hearing other labor stories. I makes me realize I was not the only one who had to rough! Way to go didn't sound easy! :)
PS-taking Lucy's pictures was a blast! I love spending time with you guys. Can't wait for her six months!

The Parks Fam said...

Thanks for sharing your birth story! It totally made me tear up reading when you got to hold her for the first time! I totally remember that amazing moment, its seriously undescribable. Lucy is adorable, makes it all SOOO worth it for you, doesn't it?? Congrats again!

Stacy said...

thanks for sharing! i am only about 8 weeks from my due date so this really touched me!

Tiff and Ryan said...

Thanks for sharing that :) It's helping me prepare too! I've been having contractions for the last few weeks on and off so I'll probably be the same as you when I actually go into labor.

andy&jess said...

This is Jessica Stuker, it is a really small world. I found your blog through my husbands cousin's blog, Alison Lacey.
You're little girl is so beautiful, congratulations! That is so exciting. You look as cute as ever.
Take care!
If you want to view our blog it's

Kit...Nat...Broox... said...

I love birth stories! Too bad about the Cafe Rio salad. Can you eat them again yet?!?! Luckily I never threw up, but was definitely nauseous! It is thee most sacred moment in the world when you lay eyes on your miracle for the first time. And then holding them in your arms... indescribable. Makes me want to experience that again so badly!

Severine said...

Holly, congrats on delivering naturally. I'm so glad you didn't end up with a C-section!!! Lucy is SO cute, give her a big kiss from her french auntie. By the way, I don't think it's allowed to look so good after a couple weeks of giving birth! You look great!
Thanks for posting on my blog. This is a fun way to keep in touch. And I'll translate my postings from now on:) Love to all three of you.
Oh, and Happy Birthday Rhett!!

amy germer said...

You are a trooper! I glad I wasn't nauseas during my deliveries otherwise they would have had to knock me out.

Amy said...

What an amazing stoy! I'm so glad you found my blog. Little Lucy is so adorable!!

rickhenriksen3 said... was great to hear the story again...Congrats again and I hope things are going more smoothly. That is fantastic that your mom and sisters were so much help...
I love you guys!!