Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The day I was born

I was due on December 18, 1982. My mom was so excited that I would follow the pattern of the families' birthdays...all on the same day of the week. I had chosen to come to Richard & Elaine's family where I would soon be the fourth child. They had 1 girl and 2 boys and were anxiously hoping for another girl.

My mom woke up on December 17 to a phone call from a friend saying her sister just had a baby girl. My mom was a bit jealous - a girl! She wanted a girl SOOO bad for my sister. My mom had even bought a beautiful little red Christmas dress in hopes she would be able to use it. Shortly after my mom started having a few labor pains here and there throughout the day. My dad was finishing their basement so he would come up and check on her every so often.

By 10:00 pm the pains were too strong and my mom was able to convince my dad 'it was time.' He asked if he should wear pink for a girl, or blue for a boy...without hesitation my mom insisted he wear pink (really dad, did you wear pink??). They got in the car and headed off for the hospital, oh wait...first they stopped at 7-11 and get film for the camera!

They got to Cottonwood Hospital and into the labor room. My mom was asked at 11:25 pm if she wanted an epidural. Because she was in so much pain she wanted to say yes, but because of her last experience with an epidural she wanted to say no. Dr. Stone also gave her the option to wait 30 more minutes to have me on December 18, or he would break her water now and she could have me today. She debated about these two essentials for a bit and then they realized it was just too late anyway. A few pushes later, I was born!
Holly Ann Henriksen
December 17, 1982
11:30 pm
7 pounds 4 ounces
20 inches

They didn't have a name for me yet. My mom heard a story about a sweet baby girl who was left at the hospital with no name. The nurses decided to name her Holly because she was a Christmas baby. My mom loved it. They gave me the middle name of Ann to honor many of my grandmothers.

And that is where it all began!
Now that I am a mother myself I know of the love my mom has always had for me. Funny how you never believe you could ever love someone so much. It is an amazing experience. It helps me appreciate all my mom has done for me and all she continues to do. Seriously, I have the best mom EVER! Love you.

10 comments:

Jamie said...

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Holly! Happy birthday to you! (And many more.)

The Petterssons said...

Happy Birthday Holly!

Rob and Dani said...

I loved reading your birth story Holly! You are right, you do have the best mom! I hope you have the best day!

Erin said...

Fun birth story - I was born at Cottonwood Hospital, too! Have a great day!

Mom of three ♥ said...

Happy Birthday! Fun story.

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday Holly! Remember 3 years ago when I threw Avery a shower on this day? Me too!

Meredith said...

Happy birthday!! Hope you had a great day!

Joanna McGuire said...

Happy Birthday a day late. You have the best mom ever and you are the best mom ever. I loved reading your birth story, that was fun.

Peterson Family Utah said...

Hapy bday Holly!! I didn't know it was your bday! It is the same day as my sisters!!! I will always remember now!!!!! Hope you had a great day! We need to get to IKEA soon! I'm sure I will see you over Christmas. Take care.
Claire. xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Nield Family said...

Okay that made me tear up! Happy late Birthday! We love you and can't wait to see you at christmas